First of all a huge Hello to all of you and sorry for not replying to the previous posts. I was really lost and busy with my work.
Well then here I am and this time i have with me the latest power house in Android arena - Lenovo P770. When i say power house i literally mean that. :-)
A great phone with nice feature set and a Gigantic 3500 Mah battery.
I am not going to mention all the hardware specs , you can always check this out for details of whats inside the phone - http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_p770-5140.php
For starters - this phone comes with
- 1.2 Ghz Dual Core Mediatek processor.
- PowerVR SGX531 GPU
- 4GB of internal memory - just about 1.8GB is user available.
- 4.5 Inches IPS LCD screen with 245 PPi.
- Huge 3500 Mah Battery.
- USB OTG - best feature for using any usb device with the phone directly.
This blog is intended to get a practical overview of the phone, share tips and tricks, and also share your information and resources for custom ROMS for this phone. So i am sharing mine -
- Received the phone with S110 world version firmware.
- Received OTA updates as soon as connected to WiFi and updated the phone to S113 version.
- Phone was rooted successfully to get rid of all the bloatware and unnecessary Google apps.
- battery when fully charged can easily get you up to 3 days of moderate usage and 2 days of heavy usage.
- Camera Sucks. The worst part of the phone.
- Touchscreen feels nice and just about similar to apple i phone.
- Phone may not appeal to all as it is a bit heavy, but given the fact that it houses a huge battery i can live with it.
- USB OTG is the best part and feature set of the phone. Now i can check out all my songs and movies in the usb pen drive directly on my phone. That's not the only thing, well connect it to a usb hub and then connect a keyboard and a mouse to that hub - You get yourself a ultra portable desktop computer. :D
- Over all a great package. Recommended for businessman and people with heavy usage of email and calling features. Photography enthusiasts please stay away.
Lenovo P770 Indian Version - Rooting Procedure - Step by Step Instructions
- Download this package to a directory on your computer.
- And this package to the root of your SD card.
- Turn off your phone and remove the battery. Do not plug in the phone to your computer, just keep it aside.
- Open up the device manager on your windows PC
- Connect your phone - You will notice a new device named "MT65xx Preloader"under unknown device for just aboout 3 seconds. Be fast and simply right click it before it disappears and then select update driver.
- Next Choose browse for software on my PC.
- Browse to the folder we extacted above and then select the SP_Drivers_v1.5
- The device will be installed. If you get the windows warning regarding unknown driver installation just proceed with the installation.
- Once installed disconnect your phone from the PC, and then remove reinsert the battery and then reconnect it to the PC.
- A new Device named MediaTek Preloader USB VCOM will appear under COM and LPT section. If you get it until here you are ready to proceed.
- Please note - MediaTek Preloader USB VCOM will appear for only few seconds and then disappear. It is absolutely fine for it to behave like that.
- Once the package has been download, Extract the contents of the package to any folder. Inside the folder there is a file called flash_tool.exe
- Grab the screen shots here
- Run this file.
- Once you see the flash_tool running, Click the scatter loading button.
- Browse for the content folder, where all the files were extracted.
- Locate the 110_recovery folder and double click it.
- Double click the MT6577_Android_scatter_emmc file inside it.
- Warning !!! Please make sure you select the 110_recovery folder and not the 121_recovery. If you do the wrong one you might get yourself an expensive plastic brick.
- Now get your phone ready.
- Click the Download button and then connect your phone to the computer via USB cable. You will notice some red bars, then yellow and finally and green circle which confirms successful installation of the CWM recovery on your phone.
- If you have been doing it right until here then congratulations half of the job is done.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC and remove the battery and then reinsert after at least 5 secs.
- Now the tricky part - Booting your phone to recovery.
- I myself had to repeat the process thrice to get inside the recovery. Please note you might get into stock android recovery as well if you miss it once. In that case you will have to redo all the steps mentioned above one more time.
- Booting into CWM recovery is different in this phone, unlike Samsung.
- You should press the power button for 2 secs then release it and immediately hold the volume up and volume down button simultaneously. If done timely you will boot to CWM recovery.
- Once in recovery rooting your phone is a piece of cake.
- Select install ZIP from SD card and then choose root_by_javum.zip file
- Once flashed your phone is rooted. You may reboot the phone now.
- Boot your phone and have a cup of coffee. You might very well need it now !
- Have fun with your rooted lenovo P770.
- I recommend using these apps once the phone is rooted -
- Adaway - get those pesky advertisements out of your phone.
- Android Tweaker 4.0 - Tweak it to maximise the performance of the phone and save power too.
- Titanium Root Backup - Get rid of bloatware and useless apps.